Copenhagen is a charming city with stunning architecture, and a vibrant atmosphere, specially in the summer. It’s actually been voted the World Capital of Architecture for the year 2023! It’s no wonder that many couples choose to have their wedding in this beautiful city. One popular option for a Copenhagen wedding is to have a city hall wedding. Hopefully this blog will help you in planning yours.
Why having a city hall wedding in Copenhagen?
There are many reasons why a city hall wedding in Copenhagen can be a great choice for couples. For starters, city hall weddings are typically more affordable and simpler to plan than traditional weddings. Additionally, Copenhagen City Hall is a beautiful and historic building with stunning architecture and ornate interiors, making it an ideal location for a wedding ceremony.
Benefits for foreigners
Copenhagen has become a popular destination for foreign couples seeking to get married due to its relaxed and straightforward marriage laws. The process is simple and quick compare to other European Countries, which require more extensive documentation and procedures.
Denmark allows foreign couples to get married without having to be residents of the country for a certain period beforehand, as long as they meet certain requirements. These requirements include being over the age of 18 and not being closely related to each other.
The Process to have a city hall wedding in Copenhagen
- Check the requirements: Foreigners who want to get married at Copenhagen City Hall must meet certain requirements. These include being over 18 years old and not being closely related to each other. You should also check if you need any additional documentation, such as a divorce certificate, a legal name change certificate, or a certificate of no impediment to marriage.
- Book an appointment: You need to book an appointment with the Agency of Family Law online. Make sure to book the appointment well in advance, as the popular dates can fill up quickly.
- Attend the appointment / Wedding Day: On that day, you will need to bring all the required documents and pay the fee. The wedding officer will go through the documents and check if everything is in order. They will also ask you some questions about your relationship.
- Getting married: You will be able to get married at Copenhagen City Hall on the day of your appointment if everything is in order. The ceremony can be conducted in English, Danish or German, but it is mandatory that both of you understand the language that you pick. Otherwise you will need an interpreter. After the ceremony, you will receive a marriage certificate, which is recognized internationally.
- Celebrate: Many couples choose to celebrate their marriage with a reception or a dinner at one of the many restaurants in Copenhagen. You can also explore the city and enjoy its many attractions.
What paperworks do you need?
To get married at Copenhagen City Hall in Denmark as foreigners, you will need to provide certain paperwork. Here is a general list of the required documents:
- Valid passports: Both parties must provide valid passports. If you are an EU citizen, you can also provide a national ID card instead of a passport. (Passports must be valid for at least 3 months from the date of the ceremony).
- Proof of marital status: You will need to provide proof of marital status, if either party has been previously married. This can be a divorce certificate, a death certificate of the former spouse, or a certificate of no impediment to marriage. These documents must be original and issued within the last four months.
- Legal residence: You must be able to enter Denmark legally and stay here. They are different requirements for entering and staying in Denmark, all depending on the country you are from.
You do not need to have entered Denmark at the time of the application.
- Marriage application form: You will need to complete a marriage application form, which you can access from The Agency of Family Law
- Translated document: Foreign documents must be translated to Danish, English or German by a certified translator. In order to recognize the document, it should be recognized by an official authority by either an apostille, stamp or by way of legalization
- Fee payment: You will need to pay one time fee for your marriage certificate. The fee can be paid by credit card, or by bank transfer when you apply.
How to apply and what is the cost of having a wedding at Copenhagen City Hall?
You must send an application (a notice of marriage) to the Agency of Family Law and pay a fee of DKK 1,650
If the conditions are met, you will have a certificate of marital status/marriage certificate which will be valid for 4 months from the issue date.
If you are not married within this timeframe, the certificate will no longer be valid and you must re-apply. When re-applying, you must re-submit all documents and pay a new fee of DKK 1,650
The Agency of Family Law does not accept cash or cheque
How long does it take?
The process can take approximately 4 weeks.
Popular dates and times can fill up quickly, so it’s recommended to book as early as possible to avoid any delays.
The ceremony itself typically takes place in one of the ornate wedding halls in Copenhagen City Hall. It can be conducted in English, Danish or German, but an interpreter can be arranged if needed.
The ceremony typically last about 15-20 minutes.
Denmark is known for its progressive and accepting culture. The country was the first one to legally recognize same-sex unions and is consistently ranked as one of the most LGBTQ+-friendly countries in the world. This long-standing legal recognition has made Copenhagen a popular destination for same-sex couples looking to get married.
After the Ceremony
After the ceremony, you’ll receive a multi-lingual international version of your wedding certificate, which can be used to register your marriage in your home country if necessary.
Make it Special
While a city hall wedding in Copenhagen can be a simple and affordable option, there are still plenty of ways to make your special day unique and unforgettable. For example, you could arrange for a professional to capture the special moments of your ceremony, or book a romantic dinner at one of Copenhagen’s many excellent restaurants. You could also consider taking a romantic stroll through the city’s charming streets, or even renting a bike and exploring the city together.
No matter how you choose to celebrate your city hall wedding in Copenhagen, the city is sure to provide plenty of charm and inspiration for your special day. With these tips and recommendations, you’re sure to have a beautiful and unforgettable wedding in this charming and romantic city.
Practical Information (Copenhagen city hall wedding)
From Monday to Saturday (11:00 to 14:30)
You need to be there at least 10 to 15 minutes before your booked time
You are not allowed to park in front or at the back. There are other public parking spaces instead
Once you are inside Copenhagen city hall, you just need to follow the heart drawings on the floor.
The Ceremony can be conducted in either English, Danish or German. It is mandatory that both of you understand the language that you pick for the ceremony. Otherwise it is important that you hire an interpreter.
It is not mandatory but in case you don’t have any witnesses, the city hall will provide you with two official witnesses.
You will be handed a multi-lingual international certificate in Danish, English, French, German and Spanish. You can ask if you need more copies.
If you have any other question, do not hesitate to reach out. I have been through this process myself as I got married in Copenhagen City Hall in 2021. Now I have the joy to assist and capture future married couples in their journey.