10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
Getting married in Mauritius is becoming more popular as it grows to be one of the top wedding destination worldwide. Exchanging vows on the sandy beach, having a wedding arch by blue turquoise waters and your honeymoon in the Indian Ocean. The very thought of a fairy-tale wedding in Mauritius makes you want to travel already but it requires some preparations. This blog will hopefully help you in your wedding plans.
1. Eloping to Mauritius
What is an elopement and WHY SHOULD I ELOPE?
As years go by, couples are redefining modern-day elopement into a unique experience.
But what is it exactly?
Eloping is an intentional, meaningful, intimate and authentic way of getting married. It is a concept where the focus is only on the two of you, which is the mot important thing of you getting married and saying yes to each other.
It doesn’t matter where you are, how you are doing it, who is there or what is people thinking about you. Eloping gives you that freedom of getting married however you want and wherever you want. If it just the two of you or with few family members, as long as the focus is to put the love you have for each other in front and have a truly intimate, stress-free wedding experience.
2. Wedding preparations checklist
Make a checklist to keep yourself well organised and to not forget anything. Wedding planing can be a hassle sometimes, make sure you have everything you need noted down.
- Travel and accommodation (Check for flights ticket, hotels or AirBnb. Make sure you arrange a transportation from the airport to where you are staying or you can rent a car)
- Paperwork / legal (If you are having an official/legal wedding, please make sure you bring all the required documents)
- Wedding venue (Check out a venue to host your ceremony. It can be by the beach by your resort, a church or even a waterfall)
- Vendors (Do your research and book the vendors that suit your taste; wedding planner, photographer, hair stylist, make-up artist, etc.)
- Wedding costumes and beauty (See with your airline how you can transport your wedding gown, don’t forget your shoes, jewelries, rings, etc)
- Ceremony (Write your vows, research for meaningful wedding rituals that you would like to have)
- Post-ceremony (Plan to have cake and champagne at the sunset after the ceremony! Or dinner on the beach. Call the family)
3. Paperwork / Legal
Below are the documents required to get married in Mauritius.
- Passports (2 photocopies of the first 3 pages of each passports)
- Birth Certificates (re-issued within 3 months of your wedding)
- Return flight tickets
- Passport of two witnesses (If you are not having any guests, your hotel can make arrangement to have witnesses for your wedding)
- Divorce certificate (If you have been in a previous mariage)
- Death certificate (if you have been a widowed)
- Appropriate fees
All documents must be submitted in English.
You will need to wear formal attires when going to the Registrar of Civil Status to sign papers.
4. Wedding venue
Here comes one of the exciting part, choosing a place to stay! Most couples getting married in Mauritius prefer to stay at a Resort. The resort will provide you with a wedding planner, who will take care of the planning and help you with papers. Check with the resort the availability for your wedding date, most resorts have a 1 wedding per day policy.
If you are staying at an Airbnb, check with your wedding planner or your photographer to assist you with the planning.
5. Wedding decoration
Have a theme and hire someone for decoration, your bridal bouquet and the groom’s pin. Need inspiration? Try Junebugweddings.com!
You can have a beautiful wedding arch on the beach or frangipani flowers up the aisle.
Consult your wedding planner to plan your day. Maybe you can treat yourself in the morning with a massage for both you, getting relaxed for the ceremony. Allocate enough time to get ready, to get make up and hair done and for some photos.
Weddings are usually in the afternoon, an hour before sunset.
It is important that you choose a photographer that you can connect with and you like their style. Your wedding day is important and these will be memories you will cherish forever and show to your future generations. It is an investment, memories will fade, pictures will remain. If your resort is proposing you their own photographer, please check their work first before you make a decision.
8. Other vendors
Resorts usually have hair and make-up services included their packages too. Please check if their expertise suit you as well. If not, I have a list of excellent and trusted vendors in Mauritius that I can recommend. If you are having a full day wedding with guests, you might want to check for a caterer and DJ for entertainment.
Getting married in Mauritius is even more perfect when you have the right vendors.
9. Ceremony & Post-wedding
Write your vows, keep them in a beautiful vow book. Do not forget the ring. For after the ceremony, make arrangement to celebrate, maybe with cake and champagne. Have dinner by the jetty. Call your loved ones. try to have sneak peak from photographers so you can use it to announce your wedding on the same day or next day.
10. Congratulations, you are now married!
Here is a list of great and fun adventures to experience while you spend your honeymoon in Mauritius
- Swimming with Dolphins
- Sunset catamaran cruise
- Hike Le Morne mountain
- Snorkelling at Blue Bay
- Chamarel rhumerie and waterfall
- Speed boat trip to Ile au Cerf
- Black River Gorges National Park
- Ganga Talao – The sacred lake at Grand Bassin
- Casela Zoo
Need help in planning your wedding day?
Leave me a message through the contact form!